Celebrating National School Meals Week 2021
It’s here! National School Meals Week (NSMW) has begun and we've got lots of recipe ideas for school chefs this week.
LACA has created a range of themes for throughout the event and each day we'll be sharing some new recipe ideas. We'd love to see what you are serving up during the week so tag us in your social posts using @PremierFoods_FS on Twitter and Instagram.
Mix it up MondayLACA is asking schools to create a fun day with a menu packed with fruit and vegetables. This is a great opportunity to demonstrate that vegetarian dishes are exciting and tasty.
- Why not try our easy and tasty vegetable and lentil lasagne? Lasagne is a firm favourite and this recipe is based on our delicious Homepride tomato sauce and is packed full of lentils as a great easy alternative to mince.
- This tasty vegetable biriyani with a mild curry sauce with garlic naan is easy to serve and great for primary and secondary schools. McDougalls naan is always popular with children
- This Mexican Jackfruit and bean birria with avocado on nachos was created by Steve Cross, and is an excellent modern street food recipe for secondary schools. The Bisto gives colour and makes a rich sauce.
- This chocolate and sweet potato muffin has reduced sugar as it is made with Mcdougall's Cocoa Powder and finely grated sweet potato.
Food = FuelLACA is asking caterers to create a menu and showcase all the important food groups including protein for strong bones and body and carbohydrates for energy.
- Raw chocolate energy balls are made with McDougalls Cocoa Powder and will be a big hit with pupils.
Great British RoastThe school roast lunch remains one of the highlights of the school menu each week. When making a roast, why not use the nations favourite gravy with a range from Bisto? You can make great gravy for your meat and plant-based roasts.
- Why not go for something a little different with our butter bean bubble and squeak?
- You could go for something more traditional like our roast pork with Paxo stuffing.
- Discover more roast dinner ideas using our recipe bank
Plant Based Power LunchChoosing plant-based days on a school menu can have a huge impact on the environment and the wellbeing of children. When looking at plant power, we have selected a few recipes based on beans.
- These mexican flatbread with refried beans are perfect as a grab and go option.
- The hearty three bean casserole with cranberries is great served with mixed salad on the side or garlic bread. It can be served with gluten free pasta or rice for those needing a gluten free offer.
- Our lentil and kidney beanballs and cranberry gravy is excellent with mash, rice or pasta.
School Food Challenge
- These chocolate, beetroot and pear brownies are a great recipe for using seasonal ingredients, grown in the UK.