Bisto Steak & Ale Pie
Prep: 30 minutes Cook: 1 hour Serves: 10
Ingredients50ml Sunflower oil
200g Onions (1cm diced)
25g Tomato purée
1.25kg Sirloin steak pieces (cooked)
25g Bisto Beef Bouillon Paste
600ml Boiling water
200ml Golden ale
300g Chestnut mushrooms (halved)
75g Bisto Reduced Salt Gravy Granules
500g Puff Pastry
1 Egg for glazing
Please check the ingredients declaration on the products you use making this recipe.Cereals containing glutenEggsSoybeansMilkCelery
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the tomato purée and cook for a few minutes until the onions have softened.
- Mix the Bisto Beef Bouillon Paste with the boiling water and pour over the onions along with the golden ale. Cover with a lid.
- Add the mushrooms and continue cooking until the mushrooms are fully cooked.
- Add the Bisto Gravy Granules and stir until thickened, then cool.
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- In a suitable pie dish, place the pieces of beef and top with the sauce.
- Cover with puff pastry and glaze with egg wash.
- Bake for approximately 25 minutes or until fully cooked and golden brown and serve with seasonal vegetables.
You can make this with a variety of pastries including puff, short or suet, in many different formats; such as tray bakes, individual pudding moulds and pie dishes, with or without a pastry base. You can also add a whole variety of ingredients such as kidney, various types of mushroom, herbs, different types of ale and onion. The trick to a great steak pie is ensuring the meat is cooked well and the finished gravy is rich and flavoursome.