Chocolate Simnel Cake
Prep: 20 minutes Cook: 1 hour 10 minutes Serves: 10
- 500g Marzipan
- 100g McDougalls Cocoa Powder, plus extra for rolling
- 200g raisins
- 50g cherries
- 75ml brandy
- 225g soft unsalted butter, plus extra to grease
- 300g light brown sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 225g McDougalls Plain Flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tbsp ground mixed spice
- 300ml yogurt
- 50g apricot jam
- 11 chocolate eggs
Please check the ingredients declaration on the products you use making this recipe.Cereals containing glutenEggsMilkNuts
- To make the chocolate Marzipan, mix the marzipan with 25g of McDougalls Cocoa Powder until it’s evenly coloured. Reserve until needed.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, 350°F gas mark 4.
- Grease and line the base and sides of a deep 20cm cake tin with baking parchment.
- Put the raisins, cherries and brandy in a bowl; set aside to soak.
- Beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beating the mixture between each one.
- In a separate bowl mix together the McDougalls Plain Flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, the remaining 75g of McDougalls Cocoa Powder, and the mixed spice. Fold this into the egg mix. Finally fold in the yogurt, and the soaked raisins and cherries.
- Transfer half the mixture into the prepared tin. Then roll half the marzipan out to an 18cm disk and place onto the mixture. Top with the rest of the mixture and bake in the oven for 1 hour 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then remove from the tin and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- Roll out the remaining marzipan, around 3mm thick, then cut out a 20cm circle. Brush the cake with apricot jam and place the chocolate marzipan disk on top, dip the bottom of the chocolate eggs into apricot jam and arrange around the cake evenly before serving.