Hot Cross Muffins
Prep: 8 minutes Cook: 25 minutes Serves: 24
- 1kg McDougalls Muffin Mix
- 460ml water
- 1tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp grated nutmeg
- 25g mixed peel
- 100g sultanas
- 50g McDougalls Plain Flour
- 25g caster sugar
- 50ml water
Please check the ingredients declaration on the products you use making this recipe.Cereals containing glutenEggsMilk
- Preheat the oven to 170°C, 325°F, gas mark 3.
- Line two muffin trays with 24 paper muffin cases.
- Place the McDougalls Plain Muffin Mix into a mixing bowl fitted with a beater. Add the cold water, cinnamon, and nutmeg, and mix for 1 minute on slow speed. Scrape down and mix for a further 4 minutes on medium speed, adding the sultanas and mixed peel for the final minute.
- Spoon the muffin mixture into the cases, until they are three quarters full. Set aside and allow them to stand for 15 minutes before placing into the oven.
- You now need to make the mixture for the crosses. Place the flour, caster sugar, and water into a small bowl, and beat together until smooth and paste-like. Spoon into a piping bag (fitted with a round nozzle, or just with the end cut off) and pipe crosses on top of each of the unbaked muffins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, placing the muffins onto a cooling rack allow them to cool more quickly.