Lamb Stew with Barley & Herb Dumplings
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 40 minutes Serves: 10
Ingredients50ml Olive oil
2 Onions (sliced)
500g Carrots (diced)
500g Parsnips (peeled and diced)
100g Pancetta (diced)
50g McDougall's Plain Flour
500ml Rich ale
1ltr Bisto Beef Bouillon (made as per instructions)
10g Fresh rosemary (chopped)
100g Pearl barley
1.25kg Cooked lamb (sliced)
For the dumplings
250g McDougall's Self-Raising Flour
2tbsp Fresh parsley (chopped)
Ground black pepper
Please check the ingredients declaration on the products you use making this recipe.Cereals containing gluten
- Preheat the oven to 150°C.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a high heat, add the onions, carrots and parsnips and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pancetta and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the McDougall's Plain Flour and gradually add the rich ale and Bisto Beef Bouillon to make a sauce. Once combined add the rosemary and barley and gently simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile prepare the dumplings by putting the McDougall's Self-Raising Flour, suet and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Add the water, a little at a time mixing until you have a thick dough. Divide the dough into 20 pieces and using floured hands shape into golf sized balls.
- Place the sliced lamb into an ovenproof dish and pour over the sauce.
- Place the dumplings on top of the casserole allowing enough room for them to expand. Cover with a lid and cook in the pre-heated oven or simmer on the top of the stove for 20 minutes, or until the dumplings are cooked and barley is tender.