Vegan Balls with White Beans & Mushroom in a Tomato Sauce
Prep: 15 minutes Cook: 45 minutes Serves: 10
IngredientsFor the balls
50ml Olive oil
1 Large onion (diced)
4 Cloves of garlic (diced)
500g Mushrooms (chopped)
1tsp Black pepper
2tsp Chilli flakes
2 x 400g Cans of white beans (drained and rinsed)
1 Lemon (juiced)
2tbsp + 1tsp Fresh parsley (chopped)
20g Bisto Vegetable Bouillon
For the tomato sauce
50ml Olive oil
1 Onion (chopped)
2 Garlic cloves (diced)
50g Tomato purée
400ml Bisto Vegetable Bouillon (made up as per instructions)
300g Cherry tomatoes (cut in half)
Parsley and chilli flakes for sprinkling
Please check the ingredients declaration on the products you use making this recipe.Cereals containing glutenCelery
- Heat a large frying pan, then add the olive oil and onion and cook for 5 minutes.
- Next, add garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Stir in the oregano, Bisto Vegetable Bouillon, salt, pepper and half the chilli flakes. Add the white beans and lemon juice and stir, let the mixture cook for 1 minute.
- Blend the mixture in a food processor until the mixture comes together. Add 2 tablespoons of the parsley and 200g of the breadcrumbs, blend again, until the mixture is well combined, then allow the mixture to stand for 5 minutes so the breadcrumbs absorb the liquid.
- Meanwhile, mix the remaining breadcrumbs, a pinch of pepper, remaining chilli flakes and 1 teaspoon of parsley to a bowl.
- Take one tablespoon scoop of the mixture and roll it into a ball in your hands. Roll it around in the bowl of seasoned breadcrumbs and place it on a tray. Repeat until all the mixture is used.
- To prepare the sauce. Heat the olive oil over a medium heat in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Add the tomato purée, Bisto and cherry tomatoes, bring to the boil, reduce and season to taste.
- To cook the balls, pre-heat the oil in a deep fat fryer. Cook in batches for 4-5 minutes or until they are piping hot and golden brown.
- To serve, place the balls on the warm sauce, top with chill flakes and parsley.